How Is Hash Made? Dry plants are rubbed over a very fine mesh to make the different hash types. A sieve then separates the trichomes from the plant matter. Heat and pressure are applied to the gathered resin glands to form a cohesive mass of hashish.
What is it?
Cannabis trichomes (resin glands) are concentrated and compacted into a waxy product called hashish. Along with cannabinoids, hash contains small amounts of plant material and terpenes, contributing to its distinct taste. Many will simply pipe or bong some. Others will place a thin ‘sausage’ of hash in a joint to boost it. Some people use it to vaporize, while others prefer to cook with it. A little hash goes a long way!
Hash contains 5-40% THC and often more CBD than regular weed. It can be smoked or used in cooking/edibles.
Use the best cannabis genetics, growing conditions, and hash production techniques to get the best results. Here is an interesting link about hash types. Hash is a special treat for some cannabis connoisseurs. And it’s easy to store and transport.
How to make hash?
Making hash on your own is simple, even with the most essential tools. The following are three quick and easy ways to make your own packet.
1. How to make dry hash?
Simply work the dried buds or trims over micron screens to make hash, allowing the kief to fall into an empty tray below. The finer the kief you harvest, the smaller the gauge should be.
This method is very versatile, as once the kief has been collected, you can either press it into hash or store it in a jar and use it whenever you feel the need for it.
- Get a set of micron screens (60-200) or a pollen box.
- Using screens, start by rubbing the cannabis back and forth on the top screen, working the trichomes off to fall below. Be careful not to force any flowers or trim through the screen. Repeat this step until you reach the bottom layer of kief.
- Put the kief between two baking sheets or parchment paper and press it hard to form a block. A hair straightener and a tightly-sealed glass jar filled with boiling water are two examples of heat application. Compressing the kief into a hash ball with a pollen press is another option.
- If using a pollen box, a large wooden or plastic box with a micron screen inside, simply place the weed and trim inside, close the box, and shake. Rep until you have enough kief.
Read more: How to Make CBD Oil?
2. How to make some bubble hash?
You may be wondering what bubble hash is all about. Bubble hash, also known as water hash, is made by removing the cannabis’ trichomes with ice, water, and filter bags.
A few supplies are needed to make bubble hash, including cannabis flower and/or trim, a couple of buckets of cold water, parchment paper, and filter bags. We will focus on making it by hand rather than using a washing machine and filter bags, ice, and water.
- A 220-micron filter bag in a bucket.
- Add ice in the bottom of the bucket, then the cannabis, then another layer of ice, or alternate layers of cannabis and ice, with a layer of ice on top and enough water to barely cover the ice at the top.
- After 15-20 minutes, take a large wooden spoon and gently stir it in a circular motion, changing directions frequently. Let it sit for another 10 minutes.
- Fill a second bucket with filter bags ranging from 25 to 160 microns, starting with the 25-micron bag.
- Close the water-cannabis mixture bag and let the liquid filter into the bucket. That water should drain for about 10 minutes into the second bucket with multiple filter bags.
- Pull up the first bag – 160 microns – and set it on a press screen or a piece of cardboard to dry. Rep for each bag until the bucket is empty.
Dry the hash and press it into blocks. The different levels of hash can be separated or pressed together.
You can also reuse the first round’s plant material and start over to make more bubble hash.
How to Make DIY Hash Rosin?
This popular cannabis concentrate requires cannabis flower, kief or cannabis trim, parchment paper, and a hair straightener to make.
- Place your cannabis flower or kief between two parchment papers (baking sheets work fine too).
- If using a flower, break it up into small squares or triangles.
- Press and heat your cannabis between the two pieces of paper with a hair straightener set to 300°F.
- Pre-wrap cannabis trims in a trim back before sandwiching it between two sheets of paper.
Use cannabis trimmings to make hash.
Trim refers to the trichome-covered sugar and fan leaves often discarded during the trimming process. This is a pity because they can collect kief for hash extraction.
Making hash with cannabis trim is simple and similar to making dry sift hash or rosin, which is why it’s so popular.
- Place the sugar and fan leaves in a freezer bag for at least 24 hours to help remove the trichomes.
- To make a dry sift hash, use a fine sifting screen to pass the trim over the screen.
- You can also make bubble hash with trim, but it takes a lot of it.
- Also, like with cannabis flowers, you can make rosin from trim, but first, place it in a rosin bag to filter it.